SPRINGTIME CHECKLIST - HOMEOWNERS & RENTERS
Spring is just around the corner (I hope)! With Spring comes a lot of chores inside and outside the house. If you're anything like me I LOVE SPRING! It's a new beginning after a long, cold, snowy winter. I get so excited to get my hands in the dirt and start weeding, turning over the soil, planting seeds in the garden, trimming the rest of the shrubs and flowers that are late fall bloomers, trimming trees and fertilizing the grass and flowers in hopes they start getting green and blooming in abundance! Then summer comes....my second favorite time of the year....MORE FLOWERS!
It also means a lot of cleaning!! I clean out the rain gutters to get any leaves we missed from the fall, the garage and gutters on the road, sweep the patio's and sidewalks, etc. Then there's the inside of house.....washing windows inside and out, window seals, window screens, clean out the dryer vent, clean under all the appliance, etc.
Springtime at our house sure keeps us busy but it's worth it. Being a homeowner is a wonderful thing, even if it means a lot of work to keep it in great shape. The same goes for those who rent homes in hopes to purchase it. I have helped thousands of people increase their credit scores and do credit report verification to get qualified to buy the homes they are currently renting. It's a wonder thing to help others achieve the American dream of home ownership! I LOVE IT! That's why I offer secured credit cards, credit monitoring, credit reports, credit scores, credit education, credit advice, free credit consultations, budgeting and more, so those that need the help can get it! If you need help improving your credit scores or just have credit questions, please call us or checkout ScoreNavigator on our website. ScoreNavigator helps you understand your credit, credit reports, credit scores, tells you how many credit score points you are losing on your accounts (if any), what you need to do to get those credit score points back, what's the best day to use your credit cards, best day to make a payment and much more. Check out ScoreNavigator here: https://www.scorenavigator.com/aff/HOMETOWN
Here are a few other things to check around the house each Spring:
Inside Your Home
Here are a few things inside your home that should be inspected to ensure they are in good condition:
- Electrical Outlets and Cords: Check electrical outlets and cords throughout your home for any potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Outlets, fuse boxes and extension cords also should be checked to make sure they are not overloaded.
- Fire Extinguishers: Check your fire extinguisher at least once yearly, including the hose, nozzle and other parts, to make sure they are in good condition and that the pressure gauge is in the “green” range. If necessary, move your fire extinguisher to an accessible place.
- Air Conditioning: Before turning it on for the season, have your air-conditioning system inspected and tuned up by a professional.
- Water Heater: Check for leaks and corrosion.
- Furnace: Clean or replace your furnace filter.
- Dryers: Dryer lint can build up inside the vent pipe and collect around the duct. Clean both the clothes dryer exhaust duct and the space under the dryer. Use a specialized brush to clean out the vent pipe. Lint can also build up inside the dryer enclosure and should be cleaned and serviced by a professional.
- Smoke Detectors: Daylight savings time is the perfect time to change the batteries in your smoke detectors. Inspect each smoke detector to ensure all are in working order, and make sure to test them monthly. Ideally, there should be at least one smoke detector on each floor of your home, including the hallway or area outside of each set of bedrooms, and one within each bedroom itself. If necessary, install additional smoke detectors as needed.
Light Bulbs: Check each light bulb in every fixture for the correct recommended wattage and replace any burned out bulbs. Also, consider replacing all high-intensity bulbs with fluorescent or LED bulbs to reduce energy and the amount of heat produced.
Outside Your Home
The cold winter months can do damage to your house as well. Here are a few things outside your home that should be inspected to ensure they are in good condition:
- Roof: Check for any damage from snow or ice, including damage from ice dams, and make any necessary repairs to reduce the possibility of leaks.
- Gutters: Clean leaves and other debris from gutters and downspouts to keep water flowing and reduce the possibility of water damage.
- Trees: Visually inspect trees for damage or rot, and remove (either yourself or through a contractor) any dead trees that might blow over in heavy winds or during a storm. Keep healthy trees and bushes trimmed and away from utility wires.
- Lawn Equipment: Make sure lawn mowers, tractors and other equipment are tuned up before using. Store oil and gas for lawn equipment and tools in a vented, locked area.
- Walkways and Driveways: Repair any cracks and broken or uneven surfaces to provide a safe, level walking area.
A little home maintenance in the spring can go a long way to keeping your home safe and secure throughout the rest of the year.
Hometown Insurance Agency of Utah located in Logan, Utah (Cache Valley) prides itself in helping others, not only save money on their home, auto, and other types of insurance but to also make sure you are properly covered and that you have answers to your questions. We want to make sure that our clients are our friends and friends become family! We want to make sure you are protected should something happen and that you understand your insurance policies and what they include. Hometown Insurance Agency of Utah is about insuring what matters! And if needed, we can make a house call. We have clients with small children and elderly clients that feel better about meeting in person at their home and if that what it takes to help them out, then that's what we'll do. We've traveled from Preston, Idaho to Layton, Utah to make a house call when needed, some we've even delivered homemade cookies to! Like we said, our clients become our family and that's what makes Hometown Insurance Agency of Utah special!
We care about you and we care about our community. We are members of the Cache Chamber of Commerce and we volunteer as Ambassadors for the Cache Chamber Commerce, The Center for Entrepreneurship and the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business/Utah State University, we sponsor many community events (Nibley, Richmond, Smithfield, Hyrum) where we have free games and prizes, we hand out candy in local parades in Nibley, Utah and Hyrum, Utah. We love being part of our Cache Valley Community!
Take a minute, give us a call and we will shop all our providers for you and at the very least you will have a second opinion to consider.
If you have insurance questions, need a review of your current insurance policies or would like a free insurance quote, please contact us at 435-754-7701! We are your hometown raised, hometown trusted, hometown insurance agency. We are Hometown Insurance Agency of Utah.
180 North Main Ste C
Logan, UT 84321
Email: jill [at] hometowninsr [dot] com