Earthquakes happen without warning. Are you covered?
If you live in an area that is prone to having earthquakes more often than not, it may be a good idea to consider adding earthquake insurance if you own a home. We added earthquake coverage for our home about 14 years ago (along with water/sewer backup coverage - I'll cover that in a separate blog). Depending on where you live it can be fairly inexpensive and in other areas it can be more expensive.
Earthquake coverage is a separate coverage from your homeowner’s policy, some insurance carriers have it as an additional coverage option while others don't. If your insurance carrier doesn't offer earthquake insurance as an additional coverage option, I have what is referred to as "stand-alone" carriers that provide this coverage.
It's also important to understand what earthquake insurance covers, how much you need, how much it will cost and how much the deductible options are.
- Deductibles and the amount of coverage for earthquake damage vary by state
- Your policy may not cover the entire cost of rebuilding
- Exterior buildings, decks and landscaping are generally not covered
- Some insurance carriers will give you a discount if you have installed a "water heater earthquake strap" (see my blog from December 18, 2019 for more information)
To help reduce damage inside your home start by looking upwards as you walk around your home. Look for ceiling fans and large light fixtures, when looking at the walls pay attention to large future items and wall hangings that could be damaged or hurt someone or even a pet if they fell during an earthquake.
Start with preparing your home:
- Install an earthquake water heater strap (see my blog from December 18, 2019 for more information)
- Anchor large furniture, filing cabinets, bookcases, filing cabinets, wall hangings, etc.
- Anchor large appliances to walls with safety cables or straps, if your appliances come with rollers, lock them in place
- Secure ceiling fans and light fixtures
- Fit gas appliances with flexible connections and install breakaway gas shut-off devices or install a main gas shut-off device
- Install automatic water shut censors
During an earthquake:
- Stay indoors if you are already inside
- Move away from windows, skylights and things that could fall
- Duck, cover, and hold still until the shaking stops
- If you are outside, move quickly into the open away from buildings, power lines and trees
- If you are driving, slowly pull off to the side of the road and come to a complete stop until the shaking stops
- Don't stop under bridges, power lines, road sides, buildings or trees
After an earthquake:
- Clean up broken glass and remove the debris
- Board up any broken windows and/or doors
- Cover any roof damage with tarps or plywood to prevent further damage from storms, etc.
- Put damaged items in a safe place for future inspection
- Save all receipts from any temporary repairs to your home and belongs
If you live Utah and are interested in an earthquake insurance quote, please give us a call. We would be happy to answer any questions you may have as well.
Hometown Insurance Agency of Utah located in Logan, Utah (Cache Valley) prides itself in helping others, not only save money on their home, auto, and other types of insurance but to also make sure you are properly covered and that you have answers to your questions. We want to make sure that our clients are our friends and friends become family! We want to make sure you are protected should something happen and that you understand your insurance policies and what they include. Hometown Insurance Agency of Utah is about insuring what matters! And if needed, we can make a house call. We have clients with small children and elderly clients that feel better about meeting in person at their home and if that what it takes to help them out, then that's what we'll do. We've traveled from Preston, Idaho to Layton, Utah to make a house call when needed, some we've even delivered homemade cookies to! Like we said, our clients become our family and that's what makes Hometown Insurance Agency of Utah special!
We care about you and we care about our community. We are members of the Cache Chamber of Commerce and we volunteer as Ambassadors for the Cache Chamber Commerce, The Center for Entrepreneurship and the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business/Utah State University, we sponsor many community events (Nibley, Richmond, Smithfield, Hyrum) where we have free games and prizes, we hand out candy in local parades in Nibley, Utah and Hyrum, Utah. We love being part of our Cache Valley Community!
Take a minute, give us a call and we will shop all our providers for you and at the very least you will have a second opinion to consider.
If you have insurance questions, need a review of your current insurance policies or would like a free insurance quote, please contact us at 435-754-7701! We are your hometown raised, hometown trusted, hometown insurance agency. We are Hometown Insurance Agency of Utah.
180 North Main Ste C
Logan, UT 84321
Email: jill [at] hometowninsr [dot] com
** not liable for any misinterpretation of coverage or law